The DFC90 adds the precision of an attitude-based flight control system and Avidyne’s innovative, safety-enhancing EP® capability.
The DFC90 has all the standard vertical and lateral modes of operation of a turbine-class autopilot system, including Flight Director (FD), Altitude Hold (ALT), Airspeed Hold (IAS), Vertical Speed Hold (VS), Heading (HDG), and Navigation (NAV, APPR, LOC/GS, GPSS).
The DFC90 digital autopilot includes several advanced technology performance features:
- ATTITUDE-BASED – Greatly improved stability due to the use of attitude data to control the autopilot inner control loops. This is particularly evident and important when tracking an ILS to minimums in windy conditions.
- EP® – Avidyne’s Envelope Protection. Prevents autopilot-induced stalls and overspeeds—which have previously been a major contributing factor in GA accidents—when the autopilot is engaged. EP also provides visual and aural warnings to the pilot.
- EA® – Avidyne’s Envelope Alerting. Available lift and speed margins are calculated constantly in the background, providing visual and aural warnings to the pilot when the aircraft is nearing its normal flight parameters, even when the autopilot is off.
- “STRAIGHT & LEVEL” BUTTON – Recovers the aircraft from unusual attitudes. Overrides all autopilot modes and levels the aircraft in both pitch and roll from a wide range of capture attitudes for an added measure of safety. S&L button provides added peace of mind—especially for a non-pilot in the right seat (i.e. Cirrus Parachute).
- INDICATED AIRSPEED HOLD (IAS) – New vertical mode includes a dedicated Airspeed knob and a new airspeed bug on the PFD. Provides constant speed flight level changes.
- ENHANCED FLIGHT DIRECTOR – Capability of the DFC90 is vastly improved and greatly improves the ability to hand-fly approaches.
- SYNCHRONIZED HEADING BUG – With the DFC90, turns are commanded in correlation with the spin of the heading knob. In other words, you can make the autopilot do a right-hand 270 degree turn if you spin the heading knob right 270 degrees.
Avidyne DFC90 Configurations
There are many other improvements, such as a dedicated Vertical Speed knob, pitch hold mode, wide autopilot engagement, additional annunciations in PFD 8.0, a dedicated GPSS button, automatic Back Course Approach selection, multiple color annunciations to indicate armed and active states, intercept mode annunciations, and Avidyne’s hallmark ease of use.
DFC90 AutoPilot Certifications:
- Avidyne Entegra PFD or the Aspen EFD1000 Pro PFD in the Cirrus SR20 and SR22.
- Aspen EFD1000 Pro in 25 models of the Beech Bonanza including the 35-33, 35-A33, 35-B33, 35-C33, 35-C33A, E33, E33A, E33C, F33, F33A, F33C, G33, H35, J35, K35, M35, N35, P35, S35, V35, V35A, V35B, 36, A36 and A36TC.
- Aspen EFD1000 Pro in 16 models of the Cessna 182 Skylane Series including the 182E, 182F, 182G, 182H, 182J, 182K, 182L, 182M, 182N, R182N, 182P, 182Q, 182R, 182S, 182T, and the R182.
- DFC90 is plug & play with the STEC55X, and STEC30/50/60-2/65 series autopilots may also be replaced by a DFC90 under these STCs.